Mama Jong: Quiz Time!
Dear Mama Jong, I really love mahjong a lot. But how much is too much? I’ve started canceling on friends so I can continue my tenhou grind to 1st dan, and all my disposable income goes on attending mahjong tournaments. Do I need to dial it back?
Hi there! When does a hobby become an obsession? With mahjong players, it seems that one hit (or draw and discard) is like heroin to the system and we’re immediately hooked. Helpfully, I have created this small quiz which will diagnose whether you have taken mahjong too far.
How do you refer to yourself?
- By my name or a nickname conferred upon me by my peers.
- I like to use the title “Janshi” on all official forms.
- I’ve legally changed my name to Kokushi Tempai (but people keep spelling it Tenpai – most frustrating)
Have you ever skipped food to play mahjong?
- No. Food is more satisfying than exchanging plastic sticks with people I only barely tolerate.
- I make sure to bring some snacks to the mahjong table.
- The lunchbreaks at mahjong tournaments are a disgusting distraction. All those mahjong players and they stop for a full hour or more?! Some of them even discuss non-mahjong topics at the dinner table… OUTRAGOUS!
What are you reading right now?
- The internet like all well-adjusted people.
- Daina Chiba’s mahjong book is a great read especially before a tournament.
- I only read the densest mahjong moonrune books with as few pictures as possible.
How much have you spent on shipping to get your mahjong merch to your home?
- I wait until me or a friend goes on vacation and get them to bring it back.
- I try to be selective and use the SAL option.
- I live under a railroad bridge with the Amazon Japan boxes my last order came in as my only shelter.
When you go abroad, what are you plans?
- See the big sights, taste the food – generally be a tourist.
- Meet up with my friends I met on the mahjong discord and play a little of our fave game.
- Ensure I never see the city or even the sun by sitting indoors playing mahjong or demanding “social” play constantly.
Have you ever bathed in mahjong tiles?*
- Wait, what?
- Umm… No…? Should I?
- I like to roleplay that I am a mahjong tile. Mostly I roleplay the 2-sou but sometimes North to mix it up.
*I sh*t you not, this is a thing that a pro did according to ReachMahjong.com’s Pro-spective book.
Have you ever uttered the words (be honest)… “Actually in Japan they…”
- No, because we’re not in Japan.
- I mean sometimes you should correct people, right?
- 実は我々雀士が。。。(Don’t speak Japanese? This roughly translates to “I’m being a cock.”)
So how did you do?
Mostly 1s – You’re normal. You may not even actually play mahjong. Well done!
Mostly 2s – Danger zone. You play a lot but you’re still rooted in reality. Good job!
Mostly 3s – Seek help.